Where to propose in Edinburgh
The Scottish capital city of Edinburgh is rich in history, literary inspiration, and places to visit. The city itself features a mediaeval Old Town and elegant Georgian New Town with gardens and neoclassical buildings beneath the hill upon which the castle sits. If you’re fairly active, the area surrounding the city also plays host to many hiking spots and beautiful outdoor places to visit with sights over the stunning city.With so much history to absorb, restaurants to enjoy, and beautiful sights to see, Edinburgh is the perfect place to pop the question to your beloved.
1. Old TownFor history buffs and fantasy fans alike, the picturesque streets of Edinburgh’s Old Town make the perfect place to go down on one knee. Whether they’re a fan of a certain boy wizard or just love to soak in the culture, the ancient streets ooze charm and romance. Head up to Edinburgh Castle’s Esplanade for gorgeous views over the city or Jean Brodies Steps at The Vennel for some Instagram-worthy photos before popping the question.
2. Dunbars Close GardensThis quiet garden off of the Royal Mile is the perfect quiet spot for couples looking for a proposal on the quiet side. This serene 17th-century-style garden allows you to leave behind the hustle and bustle of the Royal Mile and enjoy a canopy of lush trees and an elegant garden divided into eight distinct sections. Take a moment to soak in the tranquillity before getting down on one knee.
3. The Pompadour restaurantBoasting a range of delectable dishes in a fine dining atmosphere, treat your loved one to a meal like no other at The Pompadour. This upscale restaurant with views of Edinburgh Castle offers unique fare that showcases the best of land and sea in a sensory experience. Pop the bubbly before popping the question during a sensational meal like no other.
4. Ross Fountain at Princes Street GardensFor those who don’t mind a slightly more public proposal but love incredible views, take a stroll to Ross Fountain in the Princes Street Gardens. This green and gold sculpture is perfectly placed underneath the castle which sits on a rocky cliffside making for some pretty incredible photos. The Princes Street Gardens are a World Heritage Site and are split in two, sandwiched between Edinburgh’s Old Town and New Town so are easy to access while still feeling like a world away from the rest of the city.
5. Harry Potter HighlightsEdinburgh has a deep connection to the Harry Potter books so if your loved one is a big fan of the boy wizard, you have plenty of proposal places to choose from that are related to the wizarding world.Spoon cafe, once called Nicholson's Cafe, is known to be the birthplace of Harry Potter where JK Rowling put pen to paper and spent long days writing The Philosopher’s Stone. Although the original cafe no longer exists, you can take a table on the first floor where Rowling sat - proven by a plaque outside the door!Greyfriars Kirkyard is thought to be the inspiration for many of the names found in Harry Potter and is open to visitors all year round - just make sure to be respectful if you decide to propose here.If you’re feeling flush, The Balmoral hotel is confirmed to be the location where the author finished the last Harry Potter book. Spend the night in the JK Suite to really treat your other half to a special proposal evening!
6. The Witchery hotel suitesIf your love is a fan of gothic architecture and everything witchy, this 5-star hotel in Edinburgh is an essential addition to your proposal plans. There are 9 lavishly furnished suites in this hotel. All 9 display gothic touches, with large oak beds and 4-posters, velvet-lined walls and flamboyant red and gold décor indicative of the style. There are separate seating areas and large bathrooms with free-standing silver baths for you to enjoy during your stay.Each of The Witchery’s suites is different, but walk-in dressing rooms, love seats and tapestries set the tone. Some rooms overlook Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, looking down towards Princes Street, or across to the old town and make the perfect place to stay to really seal the deal.
7. Union CanalWhere better to propose your union than on Union Canal? Hire a private river boat for the perfect proposal on the water. You can even opt for a range of experiential rides as well such as afternoon tea or a Juniper Tasting cruise to make it extra special. Time it just right to catch the sunset for the ultimate romantic gesture.
8. The Botanical GardensEdinburgh’s botanical gardens are some of the most beautiful in the UK. Established in the 1600s, these gardens play host to a wide variety of plant species from all over the world, spread out across 70 acres and 10 greenhouses. Take a stroll through the gardens, taking a moment to smell the roses, before getting down on one knee in front of the perfect floral backdrop.
9. The Royal Edinburgh ObservatoryWhen you meet ‘The One’ it sometimes feels like the stars aligned just for you. If that’s the case, show the cosmos your gratitude by proposing at the Royal Edinburgh Observatory perched high on Blackford Hill. With spectacular views over the city and regular.Did the stars align when you met your partner? Well, give the cosmos a big thank you by proposing at the Royal Edinburgh Observatory perched on Blackford Hill. There are spectacular views of the city and It regularly hosts astronomy evenings where you can scope out the skies outside on its flat roof (making it one of the most romantic places to propose). Word to the wise, you’ll want to make sure you choose a night when there’s little to no cloud cover, or you’ll miss out on some of the magic.
10. Church LaneIf cobblestone streets, a church clock backdrop, and doorways framed with climbing plants are more up your street, take a visit to Church Lane for a picturesque proposal spot. This area is regularly filled with Instagrammers taking shots for their feed but catch it at the right time and you’re onto a winner. This romantic area is just a stone's throw from Holyrood park so makes for the perfect afternoon or early morning walk together. Bonus points if you have your photographer hideout and snap a photo of the big moment.
When looking for engagement rings in Edinburgh, look no further than Austen & Blake. Book a free consultation with one of our diamond experts today. Browse our engagement rings online.