Where to propose in Glasgow
6th October 2022 • by Amey
Looking to ask your loved one for their hand in marriage and need the perfect location to take them? Consider Glasgow for the perfect day trip or a romantic weekend away. Glasgow plays host to many a romantic location and, with plenty to see and do, this western city is famed for its Victorian and art nouveau architecture and has become a national cultural hub in recent years. There’s no need to whisk your other half away on a romantic getaway when you have these stunning places to propose right on your doorstep. From romantic hideaways to futuristic locations and much more in between, read on to discover the best places to propose in Glasgow.
- 1. Take a stroll through the Botanical Gardens For those who love to surround themselves with plants, nature, and history. The Glasgow Botanical Gardens are a fantastic place to propose. Founded in 1817, the gardens can be found alongside the River Kelvin and boast over 20 hectares of immaculately manicured gardens as well as two greenhouses playing host to hundreds of specimens of plants. Take a walk through the stunning gardens and enjoy seeing all kinds of exotic species of flora before getting down on one knee and proposing to your love. No matter where you do it, the photos will be beautiful.
- 2. Soak up the history at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum The Kelvingrove Museum is one of Scotland's most popular free attractions. It features 22 themed, state-of-the-art galleries displaying an astonishing 8,000 pieces of art, historical artefacts, and much more. If your fiance-to-be is into art, history and stunning architecture, this is the place for you! The museum also has two balcony areas you can access that make a great spot to get a glimpse of the magnificent hall below and, of course, the perfect spot to propose.
- 3. Experience some hushed awe in the Glasgow University Memorial Chapel The Memorial Chapel at the University of Glasgow is a stunning example of gothic architecture, The arched ceiling and stained glass windows are totally awe-inspiring and the space offers a peaceful atmosphere for both worship and celebration. The chapel is one of the most picturesque locations in the city and another great spot to get down on one knee in Glasgow.
- 4. Discover the Glasgow Science Centre For science buffs and curious minds, the Glasgow Science Centre might just be the perfect place to propose. Take a knee amongst the stars of the planetarium, propose in space, or take a stroll through their garden for the perfect place to say “yes!” The Glasgow Science Centre was established in 2001 in the Clyde Waterfront Regeneration area on the south bank of the River Clyde. The futuristic-looking glass building looks like something out of a sci-fi film and is the perfect place to propose in Glasgow.
- 5. Chivalry’s not dead at The Necropolis You might get some funny looks if you were to suggest visiting the Victorian cemetery on a first date but the Necropolis is a truly stunning landmark near the centre of Glasgow. Its wooded areas, gentle slopes, and ivy-covered quarry face with beds of flowers make a lovely habitat for wildlife and hawk-eyed walkers alike. Climb to the top of the mound just before dusk and watch a beautiful winter sunset with your new fiance.
- 6. Take in the view in Queen’s Park The 60-hectare gardens of Queen's Park make for a perfect midweek stroll with your partner. The manicured lawns, flower beds and boating lake offer the perfect backdrop for your proposal. Amble up the highest hill to the overlook, where you can take in the city skyline for miles around. The sandstone spire of Queen's Park Baptist Church towers above the surrounding buildings and Glasgow's iconic Squinty bridge looms in the distance. If you're lucky, you can even see the stunning Campsie Fells on a clear day.
- 7. Profess your love in the Hidden Gardens Behind the brick walls of Pollokshaws Road lies a blissfully quiet oasis. The Hidden gardens in the south of the city offer its guests a sense of peaceful escape amid the hustle and bustle of the area, making it the perfect place to propose. Enter through the Tramway and you'll find an outdoor seating area, a lawn, an old boiler house, and a wooded area. Wind chimes and ribbons dangle above a charming footpath which snakes through flower beds and community allotments, where local volunteers grow fruit and vegetables. This is a lovely, romantic spot for two just a stone’s throw from the hustle and bustle of the south side.
- 8. Spin your own fairytale at the Mitchell Library Perfect for avid readers and book lovers, proposing in a library is a really romantic gesture. The Mitchell Library is one of Europe's largest public libraries with over one million different books, papers, and research material, and is the hub of Glasgow’s city-wide information service. The building was built in 1877 with a humble collection of just 5,00 books but moved to its permanent residence in 1911, welcoming over 500,000 visitors every year. Get down on one knee in front of their favourite genre, or profess your love in one of the grand reading rooms. Just make sure you keep your celebration on the down-low until you leave to ensure you don’t disturb the other patrons of the library.
- 9. Surround yourself with nature at the Rouken Glen Park Waterfall For a truly memorable proposal, head off the beaten track in East Renfrewshire park for a hidden gem. Heading to the Rouken Glen Park waterfall, you will get to experience a beautiful, scenic walkway bursting with plant life at any time of year. After arriving at your secluded spot, you can let the rest of the world fade away, making you feel as though you’re the only two people in the world. If you were thinking of popping the question, this is the perfect beauty spot.
- 10. Add a little magic in Ashton Lane The charming cobbled street of Ashton Lane in the west end feels like stepping into another world. With its ceiling of twinkling fairy lights, this is one of the most-loved spots in the west end, giving off an air of magic and intimacy despite being so public. It makes for an excellent Instagram spot and the perfect place to propose and after they say “yes”, you can celebrate in one of the bars and restaurants lining the street.